Thursday 28 August 2014

Rainy Day DIY

So I got hold of my aluminium angles! Hurrah!!!! They certainly are shiny and metallic, and they got here super-quick, so what more could I ask for? I have yet to drill them or anything mind, but you guys have seen what the weather has been like of late, and there is no way I am going out to do work in that; I might catch a cold.

One of my rather fetching Aluminium Angles

<sarcasm>Fortunately for me there is always work to be done indoors</sarcasm> and I whilst I would rather spend my weekends watching TV, having a drink with some buddies, messing around on the PC or -heaven forbid - relaxing with my wife. Alas, my wife prefers to relax sans my company, which I'm pretty sure is why she has conceived all of these DIY projects for me to accomplish.

She isn't all bad mind, as she does give me a choice of which of her DIY projects I would prefer to accomplish; so at least I do have some say in the matter. True to my nature, I decided to go for something that would also benefit me, and as my little ones and I enjoy a bit of corridor football, I decided to fabricate a guard for the upstairs landing / stairway.

Basically, our landing and stairwell are made for grown-up who cannot (and have no desire or inclination to) slip in between the slats and go tumbling down the stairs. Sadly meine frau thinks that one day the kids may fancy doing just that; which is why I have fix it.....

I thought to myself "Self, no matter what you do, this is not gonna look great; so lets try to minimise its eye-cathyness", this was quite the brain wave, as it really focused my mind on what I would need - something transparent. Glass would obviously have been a poor choice (what with corridor football and all), so I scoped out some Plexiglass (AKA Perspex or clear acrylic sheeting - who knew?).

Plastic is not normally the kind of thing I would go for, but I have to say I would happily divorce my wife and marry this stuff if I were able. She will have to remain as "my beard" sadly, as lets be honest people still complain that two guys / gals can marry; they'd probably explode if some dude tried to wed a clear acrylic Perspex sheet.

Anywho, I found a pretty neat guide on how to drill acrylic sheets, from the website that I ordered my cut to size acrylic sheets from (they were a handy bunch, I will probably use them again); so once the lovably easy-to-use sheets arrived, I followed the easy-to-follow drilling instructions, attached them to the bannister, and was done is less than an hour.

My Glorious Handy Work
I. Am. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home