Monday 18 August 2014

Wooden Planters & My Aluminium Solution

Well here it is, my first actual post on DIY. It’s only going to be a short one because, frankly, it was only a short project (even for me!)

We’ve had a revamp of our garden lately (not by me, I must add) by some very professional and hard-working guys and it looks fantastic. There’s plenty of space for friends and family when the sun is out, a lovely patio and some great raised planters which my wife has been keen on for ages.

And while they are great, we’ve noticed a bit of a problem at the corners which I decided to fix myself. They are constructed from wood, so when the corners come together there are some unfinished edges which can be a problem when you’re working on the plants or the kids are around. We’ve both received a few splinters over the past few weeks and I’ve had to tell the kids not to go near them.

Anyway, I was considering getting the gardeners back to have a look, but then I visited a friend who had smaller, individual planters that were similar, only they were freestanding. His pots had strips of aluminium round the side, adding a nice finish and making them look more attractive too. So I decided to do a bit of research on it and it seems the best thing to use for me was aluminium angle.

I’d seen a few pieces of info on it online, and obviously anyone with a basic knowledge of aluminium will know it’s a good choice. The main benefit to me in this instance is that it’s rust-proof, but it can also be painted which is great if we change our mind in future and want a different look.

Anyway, I bought the right bits of aluminium angle online and they were all cut to the right size, so I didn’t need to go out and hire any tools. Once they arrived, I just drilled a hole through, got my screws ready and secured them to the flowerbeds. To be honest, I thought it was going to be much more difficult than that, but it was pretty easy! So I’d recommend trying it, even if you don’t think you know what you’re doing.

*Hopefully pictures coming soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home